Friday 29 May 2009

Geneva Hotel & Suites - Miami

Ok, I thought I'd give America a punt; can't be worse than Magaluff, can it?  It turns out we have a new yard-stick.  The Geneva Hotel & Suites is a 2 star hotel with a woeful 1.21 rating from the reviwers at TripAdvisor.  This gives the hotel an overall score of -0.79.

Maybe Americans are just more picky than Europeans, decide for yourself:

"To keep it simple: just don't go here! The worst place I have ever seen, EVER! I've seen some bad hotels in my time, but this place is the worst. Unfriendly clerks, dirty, smelly, just a complete dump. The best thing is that I got a telephone bill of nearly $ 40 although I didn't use the phone to place a phone call once. Everytime somebody tried to call me the clerks wouldn't/couldn't connect it to my room and for that I got billed nearly 40 dollars! A bunch of crooks run this place. Just don't go here!!!!!!"

"if you want to regret ever visiting south beach stay here because they had the worst rooms and service. the clerk a old blond lady told us one price we left went to the atm and 15 minutes later it jumped 30 dollars, then after spending around $200 to get a room i went to the room and i couldn't take my shoes off because the carpet was so dirty and i didn't take my clothes off when i slept. the next day we went for breakfast came back at checkout time and they changed the lock, held our luggage captive for another $100. I hate that place and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy."

"Luckily we haven't book it but just walked in ...to be literally attacked but some drunk clerk- can you believe it happens in Miami? ...we decided to see the room just to see how wrong can it be : horrible bathroom with all kinds of germs / disguisting bed with torn linen / no day light in a romm/ broken A/C / smelly place - anyway, after visting 40 countries and living in strange conditions I have never see sth like it in a so-called civilised world. BEWARE and don't even waiste your time !"

"We booked out room at the parisian. This was not a cheap deal but because of the location we thought it would be ok. We could not have been more wrong. I could say alot about this place, but the thing that horrifys me most is the bed bugs. We were bitten ALL over and my partner picked one out of my hair, it burst and his hand was covered in blood- dont know whos! avoid this place."

"Id rather spend the night in jail, by far the worst place i have ever steped foot in let along attempted to stay the night in this poor excuse for 4 walls and a ceiling."

"this hotel was the worst hotel ever, it was dirty and the customer service was horrible. there were many stains on the floor and blood stains on the bed sheets, mold on the shower curtains. the customer service was BAD, every time we needed assistance, they would get an attitude and take forever. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone EVER!!!"

"We had paper thin walls. We had a door that wouldn't even LATCH, let alone LOCK. We had a bathroom with a burned out bulb, so we had to shower in the dark. We had a view of a concrete wall. What more could you want? On a serious note, we decided on it to save money. Please oh please spring the extra $20-$30 per night and stay somewhere nicer. Anywhere. Don't make the same mistake I did."

"We stayed there because our original plans to stay with a friend didn't work out. Over the phone they told us the room was $250 per night. When we checked in they wanted $300. We argued and got it down to $250....still a total rip off but we booked for the whole week.

The beds were gross, uncomfortable and noisy. The window had a gap around the frame so you could always hear the outside noise. Plus the walls were paper thin. There was a buzzing noise about every 10 minutes....really annoying. The room was divided into two rooms and one room didn't have a light or a lamp. Even the room with the lamp was very dim. We checked out the next morning. We didn't even have a place to stay yet and everything else was sold out but we were not staying there another night."

"When Robbie the Robot muttered those words, you knew something terrible was about to happen. Well, if you check into this hotel, you can be sure terrible things will happen.

I booked 3 nights through one of the services where you find out where you stay after you pay your money. (NEVER AGAIN!!!) I didn't want much, just a place to crash for 3 nights and hang my hat. I could not do either in this hotel. It was so bad, I checked out after one night and ate 2 nights room rent.

When they say "walls like paper", they mean it here. I could hear just normal conversation in the rooms on each side. It might have been interesting if I could understand Spanish. People were trampling up and down the hallway all night. Either they were very loud and had very heavy shoes or the door was as thin as the walls.

The room was smaller than a jail cell and decorated about the same. 
Come to think of it, most jail cells I see in movies are decorated more than this room. At least jail prisoners can write graffiti on the walls. These were 4 bare white walls without any color, pictures or anything else. The view from the window of the door on the hotel room next door was lovely.

There was no place to put my bag other than on the floor. There was no cabinet of any kind in the bathroom to put my toiletry bag on.

But the topper was when I pulled the (very light) blanket back and saw only one sheet. I guess it was supposed to be a top sheet since it wasn't fitted. In retrospect I guess I am glad that the one blanket was so light since the AC unit barely had any effect at all. Hot as ____ all night sleeping first on a sheet with just a blanket over me and then I got so hot that I tried to sleep on the bare mattress with just the sheet over me. Obviously I did not sleep well when you add all these factors.

But I had been partying and said nothing to the front desk. I would have been brushed off as just another drunk.

Then I tried to get breakfast the next morning. According to the desk clerk when I checked in, there was breakfast between 7 and 11am. That sounded pretty good as I wanted to get up early, have a light breakfast and hit the beach before it got crowded and hot. So I struggled to the lobby at 7am to see a microwave on a counter along side a coffee pot (but no coffee). No sign of food. I asked the desk clerk about breakfast. He told me breakfast was from 8 to 10. I would have been too late for good beach time. Based on what I had seen so far, I decided I didn't want to wait an hour and find out what "breakfast" constituted. 
So I went out for breakfast and the beach, made a phone call, found another place to stay the next 2 nights, came back and checked out.

The desk clerk acted as if he had never had anyone express any concerns about the hotel before. Rather than get into a long discussion, I just checked out and told him he could try staying in my room one night if he could.

There were a couple othjer small items: No phone book. Not even a Bible it the drawer (I guess this place is even beneath the Gideons), most TV stations did not work, no pen or paper for writing, etc, etc.

Oh yeah, the floor was coming up in the bathroom.

As I said, "Warning, warning....""

Is this the worst hotel yet?  Nominate your favourite using the comments section.  And, as always you can see the actual reviews for the hotel here; someone actually gave it a "very good", 28 others disagreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment