Friday 29 May 2009

Oceano Copacabana Hotel - Rio

This hotel seems to be crimesville, not just the locals but also the staff.  Consequently this three star hotel received a rather low 2.00 from the reviewers.  A score of -1.00 is not cool:

"This hotel is all about your money. First they didnt honor our voucher because wife's name is Elizabeth and not Liz on the voucher, so we paid walk in rate which is much more. The cans in the mini fridge are marked on the bottom so you cant replace them with store bought, which you end up paying %400 more. Its connected next to a whore house. the staff was very unhelpful. I also was robed just outside the hotel by 2 people, one put a choke hold on me, the other put a knife up to my face/neck, and stole R$200 from me. Pay the extra $10 and stay on the Atlantic Ave. Let this be a warning, for your money and life."

"This hotel is terrible, from the minute we got there, i knew it wasnt going to be good. We got messed about by reception, changed rooms 3 times. We finally got a room( with a view of the slum apartments next door), only to find no pillows, short sheeted bed, no glasses ,dirty floor and a smell that would kill the devil himself! All of this for a lazy $200.00 per night. We couldnt leave the bathroom door open due to the stench coming from the drain. Aircon was twice as loud as the tv. Thankfully, after a few days in hell, we found an alternate place to stay. I wouldnt let my mother in law stay there, thats how bad it is."

"some employee stole $1200 dollars from my mother's locked luggage that she left in her room. The front desk personnel may be in on it since they didnt care about it at all. My mother filed a police report but the told her the money is lost for good. When we first checked in, there were tourists complaining that five pairs of expensive jeans had been stolen from their rooms. NOT A PLACE TO STAY EVER EVER IN RIO!!!!!!!!!!!"

"This hotel is one of the most outrageous rip offs I've ever experienced! 

Staff
Extremely unhelpful, unknowledgable, unfriendly, not welcoming, bad English. Example 1: We asked for a second key for the room, so both of us could go in and out. Answer: No, there is no second key. Our question: But if I want to sleep early and the person I'm sharing the room with is coming back late... Answer: Then you just have to stay up till he comes back, not our problem.
Example 2: I asked for a small piece of scotch tape to mend something. Answer: No, go to the supermarket.
Example 3: We asked if they could call a restaurant for us to make a reservation. Answer: We don't have a landline (!), call from your room.
And the list goes on and on... They were just absolutely rude, it seemed as if our presence in their hotel really disturbed them.

Hotel rooms
Catastrophe is really too nice. The hotel in general is extremely run down, old, smelly. The rooms are super small, A/C can't be regulated properly, bed sheets were dirty, as were the towels. It's only ok if you don't stay there for more than very few hours a day. But even then, the price now, during Carnival season, was around 150-200 USD a night... Absolute ripoff!!!!

Breakfast
No words. Small room, disgusting smell, milk was gone bad, food just tasted awful, no variety... I resorted to green tea and dry bread and then went out and had breakfast in a restaurant.

Location
Directly at Copacabana beach, which is not bad. However, Copacabana in general is not the nicest beach (Ipanema is much better) and a very dangerous area, especially at night. 

In total, staying at this hotel definitely spoilt my impression of Rio, which is really sad. But the way customers are treated there is just outrageous."

"Unfortunately the staff let it down. The manager was unbearably rude - he charged my Visa card that I used to reserve the booking online, before I had even arrived at the hotel! When I queried it, he started shouting over me and if it hadn't of been for my boyfriend who couldn't be bothered with a dispute, I would have walked out.
He was sharp and sour with all the guests and it seemed that every time I was walked past reception, there was a customer complaining and he was being rude.
I also got the impression the hotel was ripping you off - staff lied to me about the real cost of certain attractions and taxi fares so they could book things for us (and obviously make a fee). They were very pushy about it, too.
Oh, and you even had to pay for use of the safe!"

Want to stay there? Or maybe you just want a more balanced opinion.  Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment